Hardcore Happenings

2005-07-23

The Score

07/23/05 06:38:03 AM - Welcome back to the Kingdom of Loathing. Noob.

First off, I looked wrong at the Coldfront moon phase map, and thought it was a moxie day and muscle day was far away. So, my first action was to drink my bottle of single-barrel whiskey, instead of saving that one for tomorrow. The stat bonus made me realize my mistake. I should have saved all my adventures as well, but then again, I'm playing this game for fun, and this ascension isn't going to go down in any record book, anyway.

Drinking whiskey made me an instant level 2, so when I checked with the Council, they wanted larva. One trip to the forest later with a helmet turtle slapped on, they had their larva, and I had 500 meat to spend. A sweet ninja sword was the first investment, and it would turn out no better weapon was found that day. Thirteen adventures later, fairy gravy was begotten, so that goal was stricken off the list as well.

The next stop was Cobb's Knob. The Sub-Assistant Mad Scientists were dropping quite a lot of stuff. One dropped a firecracker, a strongness elixir and some pants. The pants were quickly equipped and I was fully dressed! Some more crackers and elixirs later, I exchanged for a gourd potion, which will be consumed tomorrow...when it is Muscle day. All that adventuring was enough to reach level 3, so I revisited the Council, and got ordered to take care of some rats.

The first few rats were easily dispatched, but a few bit back and beat me up. I slept on the ground for one turn, fished 2 worthless trinkets out of the sewer, and then defeated the rats (I required healing potions, though). Resting on the ground wasn't all that great, so getting and combining the barskin tent was the next achievement. All of which was enough action for one day. Considering the benefits of muscle day tomorrow, I decided to kick back, open up the gifted six-pack and knocked those beers down. Which made me realize I had MP to spend...all of which was put into reflecting on the nature oftortoises. I couldn't reach the microbrewery, so I visited the gift shop for cake. To compare, I bought both mugcake and Claude-cake. Mugcake gives more adventures per meat spent. I don't know about fullness, but I suspect a similar advantage for mugcake.

Still not completely done, and with 550 meat left, I looked for good investments and stuff to do. 72 ounces-of-steak proved too much for me, but I did get some free goofballs and a transfunctioner. Pre-emptive acquisition of sweet rims was achieved and some hairspray was cool too. Then I remembered the Arena. A familiar item for the Cheshire Bat would be really useful. 4 wins! Then, after some conferring with clanmates I autosold some stuff, including the elixirs. It seems way more advantageous to use that meat to get some arena wins for a familiar item (7 wins down, 3 to go), than to use them for the substat boost.

Keypunch (#30036)
Level 3 Frog Director
Turns Played (this run): 80
Days Played (this run): 1