Hardcore Happenings

2005-08-28

Day 13: Through the Castle, into the Hole.

A "muscle" strategy through the castle helped me a lot. The duration increase to Blood of the Wereseal and the introduction of medicinal herbs has really helped muscle classes to muscle their way through the harder area's.

With the big bonus of +50% muscle today for temporary lycanthrope, I headbutted my way through the Castle. I did need a Kentucky-fried meat sword, though. I also switched the penguin buckler back for the infernal insoles, to get that much-needed jump edge on the giants. With the cheap medicinal herbs and the 7-fold reduction in mana consumption, it's actually profitable to fight there. I could afford to buy Tao of the Terrapin and even reduce damage taken further. Not to mention that Snappering is way more unpredictable and quirky in damage dealt than headbutts.

With my final two bottles of booze I mixed up a martini and a whiskey sour and filled up the rest with IPA. The "special" was ice-cold beer, which is soooo sucky. For food, I simply ate the 5 pre-cooked sausage pizza's. I still found time however to backfarm for the box and visited the haunted pantry (can lid) and back alley (spider web) for the heck of it. I giggled when I got the Dolphin's map, which quest I quickly solved, for fun.

When I completed the Giant Castle quest, I had about 30 adventures left. It took me a while to refine the right strategy for the HitS. But after some experimentation, I've resorted to Snappering. Wolf Mask, yak-skin pants, Kentucky-fried crossbow, pirate shirt and 3 penguin bucklers should all make sure I can avoid/absorb the bulk of damage dealt, while, by picking up Cosmic Ugnderstanding, I can cast the required 3 or 4 spectral snappers, usually aided at least by one kick from my Crimbo Elfling.

The cost of this strategy is, however, massive. I quickly ran out of meat and spleen hits for the medicinal herbs. The latter making it even more expensive, because I've got to heal now with Doc Galactik potions. I've started to alternate the Peak (in Ninja Gear) and the Hole. I've also tried visiting the Fantasy Airship with the Star Starfish, for cheap MP regain, but I'm not quite sure which one is the best approach. The Peak won't work with Starfish, because the required Ninja Outfit holds a weapon.

I got beat up by (both) encounters with Astronomers, but I had a feeling I was quite close in either situations. In the first I simply wasn't at max HP, in the second my Snapper did minimal damage. Hopefully I can actually deal with the Astronomers and maybe the bonus stats will make a difference. I can also opt for the "Flower Power" approach, maybe. The way the battles are going mean it's going to be tough facing the Topiary Golems as well.

Keypunch (#30036)
Level 10
Rattlesnake Chief
Turns Played (this run): 1,390
Days Played (this run): 13

2 Comments:

  • "The Peak won't work with Starfish, because the required Ninja Outfit holds a weapon."

    I'm confused - what do you mean here? Is it just that Peak farming w/o a whip isn't meaty enough for you?

    By Anonymous Anoniem, at 31/8/05 02:05  

  • I'm using the starfish to recover MP. Having a weapon means I kill the Yeti, instead of the Starfish, hence not gaining me enough MP :-)

    By Blogger Keypunch, at 5/9/05 00:33  

Een reactie posten

<< Home