Hardcore Happenings

2005-09-05

Days 14-20: Recap

Actually, I didn't do much these days, for I was away. I got to play just a few turns once while away. I mostly made and ate three lucky surprise eggs then.

After I had returned, I had 200 adventures left. I just did the snapper + moxie-it-out approach to the Hole. I even started running away from tough Hole denizens, so I could just heal a turn and return, instead of having to spend a fortune I didn't have on recovery. The astronomers were tough, but the combination of Flip, Spectral Snapper and loads of moxie and absorption did work. I first fixed the star crossbow, for even more moxie and then the other two items (buckler and Key).

With not too many adventures left, the first part of the Sorceress lair was easy. The hedge maze went surprisingly well, too! Of course I had forgotten to buy hairspray for the tower and got the Ice Cube monster. I also got the Vicious Easel, for which I didn't have the item.

At the top of the Tower, I figured out the code in two tries, deflected the bolt, killed my shadow and faced the familiars. For some reason I had been convinced that I needed the goat, and accidentally leveled that one up, instead of checking which familiars I would face first. I spent a few precious adventures at the arena, but as a turtle tamer, especially one with 3 tiny plastic familiars, it isn't so much of an issue to get great poundage, as long as you get the familiar item. Or even a lead necklace. After all. Familiar weight bonus = 5 (AS) + 5 (EMP) + 3 (TPF) + 3/5 (necklace/item). So that makes 18 in the best and 16 in the worst case scenario. Which means that in the worst case scenario, you need 4 pounds of familiar. Required kills = 4 (level) squared. So, that means 16 kills. The minimum amount of experience you get at the arena is 2, so you'll get at least 20 kills anyway.

Sorry for that bit of number crunching. Anyway. My main concern was that I needed meat to actually fight those battles at the arena, but also to buy Doc Galactik elixirs for the final confrontation. I adventured a bit at the Peak and went in with a handful of adventures left. The Battle itself was a bit standard, so to say, although a bit tense in the sense that I ran a bit low on HP in the final stages versus the second form. Two succesful Doc Galactik's solved that.

In the end it took 20 days, but even with my slack approach this last day, I spent about 100 turns less than during my other run. I chucked down a handful of brownies before reascending and took the Armorcraftiness skill. Next Hardcore run is going to be Pastamancer!

Keypunch (#30036)
Turtle Tamer
The Packrat
Ascended in: 1,707 turns spread out over 20 days
Hardcore, No Path