Hardcore Happenings

2005-10-26

Hurricane Jick

The damage

As near as we can tell, inventory, player data, flags, quest status, all the core stuff, that'll swing back to what it was last night, five hours after rollover. Some people lose a day, some people don't. Mall store inventory is still up-to-date, since that's on the secondary server, along with kmail and a bunch of other stuff that wouldn't have been a big deal to lose.

That's nice. I hadn't played my turns yet, so I'm all set for that.

"Chief among them: Hagnk's. Yeah. I know. Ouch. Basically, your items in ascension storage will revert back to what they were 6 weeks ago. Which is gonna do, for a lot of people, one of two things: If somebody had stuff there yesterday that wasn't there six weeks ago, it'll be gone. And if somebody had stuff in there six weeks ago that is now in their inventory, it'll basically be duped."

Reading my own blog, it's not 100% clear, but I seem to have been out of Ronin. Which makes it very very likely that I had no stuff at Hagnk's at the time. We'll see. Fuck. I'm also thinking it's very likely I lost that bottle of Champagne I got from tuttle freely. Double fuck.
Other Major damage: Wax Lips, Lucky Tam, Maypole, Jekyllin Hide Belt, 2 Ms. A and a Mr. A jr.
Medium damage: yeti protest sign, pirate hook, 3 traffic cones. Because I enjoyed the record of "being there". Also the Stainless Steel stuff.
Minor damage: Some penguin mobster stuff, bunch of grue eggs, stored quality food and booze. Less than one million meat.

"Also... and I know this is gonna hurt some people a lot, ascension records. We need to figure out what to do about this. A lot of the staff and dev team are in favor of a total reset on these, since they feel it'd be better than reversion. I'm open to suggestions from the community at large on how to handle it.

Last, but not least, some permanent skill data will be lost. We can reconstruct most of it. The worst case scenario will be the person who had a ton of softcore skills and was in Hardcore yesterday. Everybody else, we can reconstruct most, if not all of what was lost. "


I have a substantial number of softcore skills. And I was in hardcore yesterday, I'm not sure whether or not this applies to me. Probably means that only the skills that were currently visible in "skills" were saved. That would be...shit. Not that I planned to do a lot of softcoring and my hardcore skills are more dear, but still. I bid you a (premature?) farewell:
Torso Awaregness
Claws of the Walrus
Powers of Observatiogn
Leash of Linguini
Wisdom of the Elder Tortoises
Expert Panhandling
Gnefarious Pickpocketing
Hide of the Walrus
Spirit of Rigatoni
Gnomish Hardigness
Cosmic Ugnderstanding
Moxie of the Mariachi

Fuck.

Conclusion: If it is as bad as it sounds, the most damage-limiting option is to go Hardcore 4 Life. I wouldn't get any benefit that way from the donation items, anyway. I never was uber-wealthy anyway. I just enjoyed the fact that my seniority showed. I also won't miss the softcore skills that way.