Hardcore Happenings

2005-10-19

The Plague

Okay, so now, deus ex machina there is a cure. It takes a little doing, even at lower level, but there is a cure.

But of course, there are people that want to keep the disease. Which is somewhat funny in a way. But also annoying. Why? Because the gag of "The Gray Plague" has really run out a bit.

a) It's taken over chat in more than one way. Half of the posts in chats are now "I want to be infected" "How do you get infected" "How do you get cured". It has been like this for a few days and it gets tiresome. It's also one more thing to explain to newbies, which gives them a new step on the learning curve, which actually doesn't contribute to their gameplay

b) The mechanics are unclear. Except for the strong possibility that it "spreads through chat", there is no clear idea how the effect spreads. The lack of control over it makes it an annoyance, rather than exciting. Due to the uncontrolled nature of the chat environment, there is little way to figure it out, either.

c) People are using scripts to ignore the chat effect. When people start to use scripts, en masse, to ignore a game effect, the end of its funniness is literally determined by Choice of the People.

Personally, I'm sick of the plague. It's a joke that has gotten out of control and really is starting to hinder my enjoyment of the game in general and chat (which is a large part of the game) in particular.

2 Comments:

  • You pretty much hit the nail on the head there Keypunch, especially about the whole "newbie" thing I have actually found refuge in working and not playing KoL.

    Boy do I hate work.

    By Anonymous Anoniem, at 25/10/05 23:19  

  • I haven't been into chat or received a PM since this whole business started. I still don't know if I'm infected, and I don't care to find out by exposing myself to possible infection. So until there's a definite cure, I'm not using chat or PMing anyone.

    By Anonymous Anoniem, at 26/10/05 23:52  

Een reactie posten

<< Home