Hardcore Happenings

2005-11-05

Day 5: Hard Labour

Today I've been mining and smithing.

Getting beat up in the mines is no fun. Even the extra holidays to the shore didn't make it any more pleasant. I got the meat globe as a reward. And anti-cheese.

I think that's actually a flaw in the housing progression. You can get a Newbiesport Tent at level 1. The barskin tent may take some adventuring, but is available at level 2. Then the cottage is only available after you finish the first part of a level 8 quest, combined with shoring a generally large number of times in a location you don't really want to shore at. (And shoring also hurts your PvP chances). Then at level 9, you get the Instant House, for no gameplay effort, whatsoever. I'm going to make a post about this on the forums.

[edit] I r dumb. You don't need goat cheese, but bowl of cottage cheese, which is available at the outskirts of Cobb's Knob, meaning that the cottage is available from level 3 (when you get the quest for the meatcar) and onward.

I also used to opportunity to learn about Smithing. Smithing is also a tough job. It takes 3 turns, 1100 meat (dense meat stack + basis) and of course prerequisites the tenderizing hammer and a 5000-meat skill.
So, for the whopping investment of 7100 meat and 3 turns, you have, at level 8, the ability to smith one of 3 weapons. One of which (linoleum) you already get for free, for completing the quest. The other one (asbestos) is a nice improvement on the kentucky-fried meat edition, but not much more than that. The chrome one is the only exception, for it gives you 3 extra turns. Useful, but not _that_ useful in what can be called end-game gameplay.
The whips are a different case, but really, they're not that useful in hardcore, I think. You might equip them when visiting a low-level area for some weird minor bonus. Or if you are a Mysticality class using spells, but I can't think of many other situations.

I accidentally sold my spare knitted dread sack and then used the other to make a bean bag. I'll get it back tomorrow, because I need it for the fruit for potions. I also forgot the Daily Dungeon.

All-in-all, adventuring went as good as it could get with the lag and I reached the Goatlet. I'm planning on eating Fettucini Inconnu tomorrow. Plus a spicy bean burrito. My consumption today was two spaghetti with skullheads and a spicy bean burrito. Boozewise, I drank a few specials, a homemade cocktail and some IPA.

I also toyed a bit with the new Mr. Store familiar. It has great references to the game itself, and the familiar item also to "Back to the Future".

Keypunch (#30036)
Level 8
Otter Crusher
Turns Played (this run): 738
Days Played (this run): 5

p.s. I'm a bit tired. My planning post will be more cheerful, I promise. In other news, there will also be a planning post :-)