Hardcore Happenings

2006-01-08

Lovely Flowers

As some sort of pass-on question by Soulcake, I got asked "What the heck do I like about PvP?"

It all started after that faithful November 8, when PvP stopped costing turns. In the really old days, I had broken my hippy stone, but lost the enjoyment. Once I could heal my stone, I did. After that, I never broke my stone again, because I was worried that as a chat mod, I would have a giant target painted on my back, in a discipline I didn't want to put energy in. Even later, once I started HC runs, I only broke my stone a few times to get flowers to specifically defeat a big monster or survive in the HitS/against the Topiary Golems. Quickly, reagent potions became a much more efficient way, so I stopped doing that as well.

On November 9th however, I was willing to give it a try. After all, you had nothing to lose in defence, so being a target was no problem, and it wouldn't cost precious turns, needed to ascend. It quickly turned from "something else to do when you're done adventuring" to a minor passion. After all, I noticed this was a leaderboard at which anybody had a shot, since it refreshed a lot.

The real joy however is in the hunt. First you make your own preparations at the end of adventuring. Trying to minimize the number of buffs, for the biggest effect. Putting on the best wardrobe. Drinking up as close to the limit as you can. Then, set as well as possible, the profiling begins. Using search to find targets. Trying to estimate their prowess. Sometimes it's just looking for easy kills, but it gets really interesting when you're tussling with the big guys. Dilemma's start presenting itself. Would it be wiser to keep that statboosting stainless steel slacks? Or better to wear the yakskin pants, so as to win the possible fashion show? Especially when you are buffed to your eyeballs and in between way higher-level people, you know that once you press that "attack" button, there's no going back. You've considered all eventualities, you've maximized your chances, you've crossed your fingers and you hit the button. A screen of blue and red presents itself, you quickly scan the colour distribution and it doesn't look good, that first buffed contest is red, and that was supposed to be your strong. You've won the unbuffed but lost the secondary. But thank goodness, you've gotten away with it. Your mini's have saved you...this time.

That's the thrill of winning a fight.

Then there's also the moment you log off. You've prepared your best set of defense equipment, made sure that you've got a full set of pretty bouquets at your campground and softly curse because the hippies wouldn't drop that set of windchimes, which would've improved your campground. You go to sleep. The following day, you log on. Several "you've been attacked" greet you. Some of them are from total noobs. But you also recognize the name of that levelcamper and of a couple of the regulars in PvP. The ones that you've lost to before...or utterly pulverized. The glee and discontent that the results of those messages give. Overwhelmingly holding your ground against a newbie, winning on mini's against a rival. Being crushed by a PvP fiend. They make it worth it. The best, for me, is when I see multiple attacks by one person. It means he's failed at least once. And he was annoyed enough by this to make it worth for him to take his chances once more.

That's what makes it worth it to drink white canadians if you can mix them, to grab flowers whenever you can, to go for the hippy outfit every run...the emotions induced by true competition.