Hardcore Happenings

2005-08-04

Day 14: Soft Options

With just 2 full muscle points to go, at least at the end of tomorrow, I should be able to reach level 10 and go up the beanstalk. My choices are pretty linear: simply adventure there 'till the castle is reached.

I do need to answer a couple of other questions:
1) PvP strategy.
Yesterday I picked 6 fights, of which 4 netted me flowers, one was accidentally for rank and I lost one. I can say that flowerpicking works to an extent. It might be a neat addition to goofballs, once I confront the Topiary Golems. When used against the Yeti, I profit enough to be able to afford Hatorade. I don't think I need it on the Fantasy Airship and also not against the Giants. After all, I can use better gear then, my stats will be better, and IIRC the monsters on the Airship, except for the MagiMechTech MegaMech, are weaker than Yeti's.
On the one hand, I hope that other PvP'ers will hit me, I could even strip for that, so that any attack is a guaranteed win, on the other hand...I do have some PvP-pride!
- flaw in PvP: losing a battle when attacked isn't bad, because it allows you to attack weaker players. Winning a battle when attacking is good, because it gains you a flower. Winning a battle when attacked is only good for your pride, losing a battle when attacking is costly stat losses.
When you weigh it all up and down, the two sides in a PvP battle, actually both benefit the most from an "attacker wins" scenario!

2) Buying a skill.
I could buy Tenacity of the Snapper, or one of the two gnome skills ("Cosmic Ugnderstandign" and "Gnefarious Pickpocketing".). Instead, I think I will try to save up for Spectral Snapper. Especially if tomorrow I dance with the Yeti, I should be able to afford it. The spectral snapper will, after all, allow me to simply rely on moxie alone, boost that up to the high heavens, and kill monsters simply by expending soda-water fueled MP.

3) Food & Booze
I see no "native" supply of booze in the future. I have got, however, still a small supply of glasses of goat's milk. If I could somewhere score a few bottles of vodka (frathouse or Menagerie level 3), this would be a double whammy. On the one hand it would boost muscle points, on the other hadn improve my PvP-ing...in the end, I might better simply stick with the Microbrewery.
Food on the other hand, is a matter of choice between sausage pizza, (spicy) bean burrito or (spicy) enchanted bean burrito.
All three require dough, which I have a bunch of, or else can easily be bought at the Bugbear Bakery.
Farming the kitchens relative quickly drops enough sausages. Any extra tomatoes for the pizza can be bought from the hippies. Collateral drops consist of a little meat, spices (useful), dry noodles (useless), knob mushrooms (useless).
Farming the beanbat chamber will be the fastest to get enough ingredients. However, I don't need the mysticality statboost. Collateral drops consist of some meat.
Farming the treasury is slow. Regular beans have a low drop-rate on one out of four encounters. Collateral drops are knob goblin elite stuff (including a shirt!), a decent amount of meat and the remote chance of an ultra-rare encounter.

If it's a clover-day tomorrow, I'll adventure in the treasury (and make spicy bean burrito's). If it's not, I'll farm the kitchen for (5 minus # of spices) sausages after which I will go into the treasury for beans, and have a mixed diet of pizza and burrito.