Hardcore Happenings

2005-11-13

Day 5: The Quickening

What the heck is a Quickening? You often hear that in fantasy contexts or as titles of episodes of tv-series. I'll look it up.

I started off doing some PvP with my left-over effects and then continued adventuring. It being muscle day(s), my goal in life is defined as to get what I call "the triple whammy": Bonerdagon chest, Strange Leaflet word, Stat Script. This Holy Trinity of stat boosts is a neat speed-up, saving a lot of clicking.

It started off a bit poorly, with no knob sausages dropping in the kitchens. Enough spices for more chow meins, but little sausages. Eventually, they had dropped, and I focused on getting my post-due Liver. I needed to push the W IMP a bit to have him drop the items you require later, but I had few worries. I was attacked for a flower of course, during adventuring...

Luck would have it I reached level 8 exactly before finding the final required item. Time to visit the Tr4pz0r and commit to that hellish undertaken called "mining for ore". I must say that the skill "Tongue of the Otter" is a blessing there. For 7HP each cave-in is just a single lost adventure. On to the Goats, which dropped like flies under my shillelagh. Goat-flies.

I was a bit low on meat, so colour my dismay when I found out that I couldn't wear the eXtreme cold-weather gear, due to too low base mysticality! Having drunk to my limit with dry vodka martini's from the brewery, I decided to just pre-emptively clear bits of the Cyrpt. The mini-bosses showed up early and were all dispatched with a Thrust Smack. No ghostly protection. With a handful of adventures left, I decided to take on the Boner Dagon. And he kicked my ass.

Then I realized, it was time to buff up for PvP anyway. I could buff up, smash the boss, adventure a few more, so that I had minimal buff turns on me for the purity contest, finish my PvP fights and go over the limit. Bye bye, bonerdagon. Which meant I could wear the eXtreme Cold-Weather gear as well. Hurray! 5k meat from the tr4pz0r.

Smugly, I succesfully PvP'ed my way to 11 for 11, with one accidental rank fight. I drank a final dry vodka martini. I felt sophisticated, and Russian. Then I apologized to the Russian.

Keypunch (#30036)
Level 8
Otter Crusher
Turns Played (this run): 649
Days Played (this run): 5

p.s. Quickening, n
1: the process of showing signs of life; "the quickening of seed that will become ripe grain"
2: the stage of pregnancy at which the mother first feels movements of the fetus
3: the act of accelerating; increasing the speed