Hardcore Happenings

2005-08-05

Day Fifteen: Looking Up and Ahead

Progress has been slow. It's straightforward, but slow. I need to increase muscle, but I wasted a good opportunity to donate by accidentally buying Tenacity of the Snapper.

So, how now, brown cow?

Particular dilemma:Food & Booze
For booze I can always simply fall back on IPA. Food however is more complex. Fishing for spices *does* still cost adventures. Gathering beans was expensive as well. On the other hand, the meat was nice, and there's still a chance of shirt. I'll think that clover day, or not, I'll pick the "farm for pizza, then beans to match number of spices found"-plan tomorrow, and see how that works out.

The rest of the strategy is pretty straight-forward. Gain 2 muscle by doing the thing I do at the Peak so well. Then try to make as quick a run as possible through the Airship, although I should at least get one Metallic A and a photoprotoneutron torpedo.

One thing I have to ponder at the airship is whether to go for a "moxie + snapper" strategy, or for "muscly headbutt".
In the first approach, I equip as many moxie bonuses as possible. That way I won't be hit, and can safely Snapper my enemies to their demise. This is MP costly.
In the second approach, I try to boost my combat skills and try to headbutt my enemies as fast as possible. This might be more HP costly.
Looking at the gear I can equip, I'm tempted to go for the muscle approach. I put on some penguin shorts to increase my spead, slap on a chrome helmet for stat bonus and headbutting panache, and equip some selection of boris ring, bad-ass belt, shiny ring and sneaky pets' breath spray. For my weapon I can pick either the drywall axe (high power) or the kentucky-fried meat sword (muscle bonus).
The benefit of the muscle approach is that soda water costs 70meat for 3-5 MP restored. That's 280-490meat per Spectral Snapper. At at least 2 spectral snappers per opponent, that's an average of 385 meat per foe, just to Snapper them. This is cost-effective against Yeti, but not against Airship denizens.
Doc Galactik's Ailment Ointment is just 60meat for 8-10HP recovered. Even at 40 damage per opponent (I hope it's less), that will be, on average a "mere" 270meat. Which leaves 140 meat to pay for soda water to compensate headbutts.
(Dammit, I wish I had that 8000meat left to pick up the drain of meat)

If I manage to reach the Giant Castle (unlikely), I will simply let the Wheel sit at Muscle for today. Reaching the Giant Castle is, however, an explicit goal for the day! The clock is ticking. After all, if I want to start that softcore oxygenarian sealclubber run before muscle day, I need to get a move on. Run, Keypunch, run.