Hardcore Happenings

2005-11-15

Retrospect: Hurricane Jick

Now that my "cool stuff" is back, I think I'm, inspired by this thread, able to glance back at the affair one final time.

I, for a long time, had also been under the impression that an inventory dump would've happened, and that merely the diffence between the sixth of September and the crash would have to be restored by hand, with the usage of donation records, mall/trade transactions and ascenscion records.

It's a bit annoying to see only the mentioned valuables restored, because my case contained countless of little crappy items, like "a number of dolphin crowns", which I'm not going to bother *any* admin over, because I a) don't know how many there actually were b) the value is trivial, c) it doesn't hurt my gameplay if I don't have them. It's not said that I didn't gain a certain kind of enjoyment from tossing another dolphin or Goblin King crown on the ever-growing stash of second-hand crowns.

There are also the supplies of food and booze, which can, of course, be easily restored by visiting the mall or help from my clannies. Asking an admin to manually restore those is really a waste, because they could far better be spending that time restoring other people's Mr. Accessories and Tiny Plastic Swords.

What makes it a bit more insidious, is that some lucky people got their supplies actually *doubled*, while others lost everything. Many of those with doubled supplies have been really kind, per KoL tradition, and helped those who lost a lot, and I thank them for that.

Now that I'm about to restart softcore, I'm reminded how much I depended on my stash. Or how random things, like the small pile of gingerbread bugbears (funniest food in the game), could amuse me.

That all taken into consideration. It's now too long since the actual crash to change any decisions.
At the crash, they could've decided to set *everything* back to the last update. There would've been crying and shouting, but all would've been in the same boat. People would've left in anger and destitution.
They could've *not* restored anything for anybody. There would be crying and screaming, especially from those that lost stuff. People would've left in anger and destitution.
They could've done what they did and try to hold a carrot in front of as many people as possible, letting them continue and build up new investment in the game, while they did restoration as best as they could. Some people have left, but a lot have staid, because of hope.

In the end, the carrot turns out to be a bit less juicy for people than they thought. In the meantime, I've gained a few more skills, started new piles of junk in Hagnk's. I can choose to quit now, and by my own choice abandon my own achievements as well as what's been lost due to Jick's clicks. But guess what? I'm not going to! I worked too hard, spent too much time, clicks and brainpower on my new stuff. I'm staying and accepting things as they are.